Finished Quilts

Tuesday 5 February 2013

ploughing my own path...

..nothing to do with snow as we have none. Nope, I did something I've never done before.  I diverted from a pattern and went my own way.  I'm such a wild child!  I had planned to make this pleated tote, using Ellen the Long Thread's tute, as a thank you gift for a friend of mine.  I just couldn't get my head around the pleats, which is crazy cos it's actually straightforward but I found the instructions not so clear.  It was the morning after the valpolicella!

So having cut out the pieces of fabric, I decided to go with a centre pleat instead, make the handles a wee bit longer and add a magnetic closure claspy thing. Et voila!

I'd quite like to keep this one :(  Also I need to iron it, obvs.
Made totally from my stash so a big brownie point FAA wise.  I bought a chuffing shed load of this AMH Drawing room fabric a couple of years ago as I wanted to make this dress and possibly reupholster a chair with it.  But Laughing Boy nixed the chair idea and I have chickened out of the dress so far (maybe this year!).  So in the cupboard it has languished.  The lining fabric is Patty Young Flora and Fauna that was bought initially to back this quilt along but I decided against it and bought some more. So in the cupboard it has languished too.  I'm actually enjoying this "use it or lose it" vibe I'm on.  *polishes halo*

9 comments:

  1. Great bag! I can see why you wanted to make the dress with the Volumes fabric, what an effect! But it looks great on the bag too. Big brownie points for using up stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend is going to love this bag. Well done in going off piste and doing your own thing! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Love the centre pleat detail :) Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well arent you doing well! That halo must be getting an really nice glow to it now ;-) Gorgeous bag, and your pleats look fab with that print too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's lovely, it looks great with just the one pleat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know what the original pattern looks like, but I sure do like your version! Great finish, and a stash buster to boot! That halo is certainly glowing now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had to put my shades on to stop the glint in my eyes ;) Awesome bag, Miss M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure I was originally that 'friend' but I am now! And I love this bag, thank you so much x

    ReplyDelete