Finished Quilts

Friday 29 October 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival

Amy runs an online quilt festival, where she provides a space for people who quilt to showcase what they have done and talk about why, lessons learned and so on.  I was going to just check out the photos of loveliness from afar but have decided to enter.  Eeeek!  As you know I'm new to all this, having taken up quilting (and sewing in general) earlier this year but your kind comments on Ruby made me think...what the hey!


A recap on Ruby Ruby Ruby's back story.... Laughing Boy's parents celebrated their ruby wedding anniversary this year and I offered to make a quilt as a gift from us.  My lovely MIL asked for something colourful with a solid red back and no noticeable quilting on the back!  It was the fifth quilt I have made and I decided to try out flying geese.  It took me aaaaaages and it was unpicked and resewn a gazillion times before I chillaxed and just got on with it.  So, months late, it was finally finished and here's a photo of it in situ...

Carol doing a better modelling job than her son!
The great thing is that she's stoked with it, which made all my anguish worthwhile.

So in terms of lessons learned in its making, where do I start!!!  Well, I learned the importance of accurate cutting that's for sure and of accurate 1/4inch sewing (my geese don't always fly in formation and some look like they've been on a pizza and cury diet!).  I also realised that I needed to worry a little less about fabric choices, although this is still work in progress :). 

So after a difficult start, Ruby Ruby Ruby and I have become firm friends. 

33 comments:

  1. I love the name of your blog and I absolutely adore this quilt - the colours and so beautiful and the shapes so clean and simple - it is stunning - I want to walk into my sewing room this very second and start cutting up reds and whites just to copy this. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt turned out great. It's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt and has is often the case, only you see the imperfections, the rest of us see the love and care that went into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful! I love the story behind it, too. So how did you handle the no noticeable quilting issue on the back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous quilt and a great reminder to just "keep on truckin'."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love flying geese and want to try a quilt just like this some day. It's a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I made a similar quilt in orange and yellows...my geese are on the same diet as yours, but it looks good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, gorgeous colour. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quilt number five and it's flying geese? You are a wonder woman!!! This is really beautiful! I've made I don't know how many quilts and these scare me half to death, lol! I love your color choices and I think your geese look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks perfect to me!!! I love the colours are so fun yet classic and timeless. I can see why your MIL is stoked!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is fabulous. I can't tell you how many times I have handed over a quilt later than I anticipated. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your MIL looks soo happy and proud with her quilt! You've done a wonderful job - can't wait what you'll come with in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How pretty and what a lovely quilt . Looking forward to your new entries as you travel along y/our quilting path! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrific quilt! I love the red large size flying geese...it looks happy and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice colors. Flying geese aren't easy and it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a great job on not the easiest design- I hope you continue to find quilting a wonderful enjoyable experience. Quilting does have the ability to turn you into a fabric-aholic. Enjoy the collecting ....
    It looks like you are off to a great start.
    Regards from a Western Canadian quilter,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done on the flying geese! I've been quilting for years and years and have all but given up on triangles - squares are such lovely shapes!! So I take my hat off to you. You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilt! Love the colours in the flying geese against the white. What a wondful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! This is a huge accomplishment for a 5th quilt and you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Ruby flying geese quilt has made a very wonderful gift to your inlaws. Aren't you glad you're hooked on quilting now???

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous quilt - I love bright colours on a white background!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, this is a challenging block for a first quilt! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh man, all those points...I'm starting to hyper ventilate! =)

    So so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an undertaking for your 5th quilt! I think you did a great job. Isn't it wonderful when the recipient really loves the quilt you've worked so hard on?

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely quilt! Beautiful colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your color choices! What a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is beautiful! I especially love the colors and also all those flying geese. I hate making those but love how they look!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful quilt, I love the white and red!
    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really pretty quilt! I like how you listed things you learned through making it. I think those are the best types of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  31. your quilt is lovely and wonderful for a first quilt for pete's sake!! and anyone else's sake, too. love the colors and how great that you learned new things. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete