Finished Quilts

Friday 16 July 2010

Lesson Learned #4

For quilt#2, I again chose the road less travelled - a completely hand tied quilt.  Inspired by this book

and this quilt in particular

So I bought some blue linen fabric (dead cheap from abakhans in Preston), washed it and realised that it had shrunk a lot so I wouldn't be having an bedsize quilt. I added a piece of cotton between the linen and the batting (pretty thick stuff) to minimise the batting poking through the knot holes.  The worst part was marking out the spots for the knots  - bo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oring!  And so the knotting of about 1500 french knots began.


It became quite addictive, although it took about 4 weeks to finish.  I was proper chuffed when I'd finished (my facebook friends were bombarded with photos!).  Then came the BIG challenge - what the heck was I going to back it with?  Initially I looked for fabric that was similar to the one in the book but thought it might eb worthwhile doign something al little funkier.  This is when I discovered the all encompassing thrill of shopping for fabric, internet style.  And also when I started to be a fabric addict - Laughing Boy is convinced I have a monthly direct debit set up with fabric.com!  Close but different shop:-p.

Anyhoo, this brings me to Lesson#4:  don't sweat the fabric choice so much.  I bought so many different fabrics and drove myself crazy.  Every cloud though - I started a greta fabric stash!  In the end, I just went for it - success?


Note to self: learn how to take better photos!

1 comment:

  1. That has to be one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen. It's so goregous Moira. And I love the backing too. x

    ReplyDelete